Monday, April 28, 2008

Ina May, Penny Simpkin, and me

A few months ago a co-worker of mine suggest that I pick up a copy of Ina May Gaskin's book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth for Preggers. I am incredibly glad that I did. It has turned out to be quite an inspiring read. She read it cover to cover and then asked me to read some as well. I am amazed how much I am enjoying it. She found it funny and inspiring and empowering. I am too. I hope to learn a little something from those hippy ladies. They do an excellent job of taking the fear out of the birth process and making it a spiritually invigorating experience. A lot of the stories make me laugh. I hope I will be able to laugh and enjoy our birth process.

I am also reading a book called The Birth Partner by internationally renown Seattle doula extraordinaire, Penny Simpkin. This is a fantastic supplement to our birthing classes. The hope is that the more I know about the process, and the more "tricks" I have up my sleeve, I less insecure I will be. Preggers and I talked a little about this last night. I want to be positive and productive part of the process and to be honest I am worried that I will just be an annoyance or in the way. Preggers is doing great about helping me keep my confidence up while not sugar-coating anything for me. I know I need to be strong. I have so much faith that she will be strong enough to do this. I just need to have some of that faith in my own strength. Believe it or not finding my own strength doesn't always come easy. For me, that security in myself usually comes through preparation and education. And the fact that I don't have any other choice. When the time comes will I be the best birth partner for my partner? I'm damn well going to try.

No comments: